Check out our packing guide to make sure you're covered for your time in Varkala. Because there's no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing :).
TO WEAR WHILE SURFING- 1. Swim wear & board shorts-
Surfing is a minimal sport. All you need is swim wear and shorts. And your sunny self :)
2. Dry fit tshirt-
To avoid rash from the sun or scraping from the board. If you dont have, we will give you a rash vest to wear over your shorts.
3. Sunscreen & sunglasses- The sun can be strong. Bring along UV protected sunglasses and sunscreen.
GENERAL/ EVENING WEAR-
1. Shorts/ Loose cotton pants It gets hot and humid. Be as cool with your clothing as you can.
2. Cotton tshirts/ Dresses- Ditto. Go for whites and lighter colours to feel cooler.
3. Underclothes A pair or two a day.
4. Flip-flops- Beach style :)
5. Straw hat For some sun cover
ACCESSORIES & MISCELLANEOUS
1. Water bottle Fill water from your accommodation to carry with you for training. Lets avoid buying single use plastic bottles.
2. Day pack To carry with you to the training with your water bottle, sunscreen, sunglasses etc
3. Quick dry towel
4. Toiletries-The usual- Soap, shampoo, moisturizer, toothbrush and tooth paste. Sanitary needs for the ladies.
5. Entertainment & electronics Bring along any musical instruments if you play, or sports gear if you have like a skateboard or slackline. Speakers/ kindle/ book are a traveller's best friend too.
6. Small first aid kit + Corona kit Best to carry some basic medicines for cold, fever, loose motions, ointment for aching muscles, some band-aids and any other personal medication. Don't forget your mask and sanitiser. The new basics.
7. Others Phone charger, ID card, personal medicines, some cash (there is an ATM near Varkala market, but a little away from the landing site. GPay is commonly used in Varkala.
8. Last but not the least, some spunk! That’s the difference between you and the next door Joe who didn’t sign up for surfing :D Note- This is simply a suggestion. Please add/remove as per your needs. Images are merely to give an example. Please replace with nearest items from your existing wardrobe. Sustainability & functionality > appearance, always :)
Nitisha Sethia is an outdoor sport practitioner and founder of Adventure Play. Ex-McKinsey & Co. and IIM Ahmedabad, Nitisha left her corporate job to follow her passion in the outdoors.
Adventure Play is a one-stop platform to discover & learn new outdoor sports.
www.adventureplay.co | Instagram- @adventureplay.co